Plus more to come soon!
- Six highly detailed train routes from around the world with over 600 total miles of rail, carefully recreated with accurate elevation and terrain data, to mirror the real-world scenery, industry, and towns along the routes. Routes include both historic and contemporary rail operations:
Amtrak- the "bullet train" comes to America with Amtrak's new Acela high-speed train running the busy U.S. Northeast Corridor.
Acela Route ProfileBurlington Northern Santa Fe Railway- experience the challenges and awesome power of moving today's freight through the spectacular Marias Pass and along the southern border of Glacier National Park in Montana.
BNSF Route ProfileThe Flying Scotsman Railways- race along some of England's most beautiful countryside in the late 1920's in what is arguably the world's most famous steam locomotive.
Flying Scotsman Route ProfileKyushu Railway Company- explore the mountainous Hisatsu line on Japan's southern island of Kyushu.Odakyu Electric Railway- navigate one of the busiest commuter lines out of Tokyo or take in the breathtaking scenery of Mt. Fuji.
Odakyu Route ProfileThe Venice Simplon-Orient-Express- visit the Austrian Alps in the 1930s for the ultimate in romantic European steam train travel.
- The most realistic experience of rail equipment ever brought to the PC - placing you in the cab of each detailed locomotive, with accurate, fully-functional gauges and working controls that you manipulate. Whether it's working the regulator on a steam engine or the air brake system on a modern diesel, you are in control.
- Authentic train and route sound recordings of the actual equipment and locations. Whether in the cab or standing by the tracks, you'll hear the distinctive hissing of the Flying Scotsman as it gets up a head of steam, the throaty rumble of a Dash 9 diesel as it hauls its load of freight, and the distinctive sounds of jointed, wooden-tie track versus welded, concrete-tie track.
- Real-world rail Activities based on operational events unique to each route. Players can choose from a variety of challenges, such as keeping to a strict passenger timetable amidst unforeseen obstacles, or using helper engines to get a 50-car intermodal train over Marias Pass during a winter storm. Alternatively, you can enjoy any of the routes from a passenger or observer view - just sit back, let the computer control the realistic rail operations, and enjoy the sight and sounds of your journey.
- An open architecture, and tools that encourage enthusiasts, railroad clubs/historical societies, and third-party developers to customize and extend the product by creating new trains, routes, scenery, and challenges, many of which will be available for download from the Internet.
- Key partnerships with major railroads around the world who are assisting Microsoft in recreating the trains and operations to provide an authentic rail experience.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator heritage, and the exacting standards of quality and realism associated with that product family. The same ingredients that make Flight Simulator so appealing will make Microsoft Train Simulator irresistible to anyone with an interest in trains.