LONDON, UK (December 23, 2004) - GMX Media and Shockwave Productions have today released screenshots and details of gameplay for the upcoming sequel to the award-winning Rowans Battle of Britain.
Battle of Britain II
“Wings of Victory”
Battle of Britain II “Wings of Victory” recreates the fierce and famous air battles southern England in 1940. The game delivers explosive fun for veteran and casual gamers alike, and occurs over a vast and living world below which will be forever known as one the world’s most decisive moments in history.
Battle of Britain II “Wings of Victory” allows the player to either act as the supreme commander of either side, or simply click “fly” and let your generals manage the war below.
As commander, you can control the war down to a single aircraft or building in a world where thousands upon thousands battle for supremacy. Scores of targets including every plane, factory, airfield, and radar station have a specific role and impact on the progress of the war below.
As the enormous campaign plays out below, you will observe both allied and enemy flights carrying out their daily missions. You can take your commanders hat off and jump in the cockpit of the British Hurricane, Spitfire, German Messerschmitt, Stuka dive bomber, or man the gunstations of the Dornier Do17, Heinkel He111, and Ju-88 level bombers. As a pilot, all you need to do is destroy the enemy when you can and get you and your comrades home alive.
Whatever you choose, you will be amidst the relentless and endless waves of German aircraft, taking part in the most authentic historical re-creations of these amazing battles. Get ready to strap yourself in for the fight of your life.
Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory:
- New DirectX 9 technology
- The "In Cockpit" Experience
- Clickable cockpits for the ultimate flying experience
- Realistic starting procedures via mouse
- Built-in native track-IR support with the latest 6 degrees of freedom support, including moving your head forward, backwards, left, right, up and down
- Lift your head for a more, over-the-nose view
- Lean out the window while taxiing
- Keep your eyes fixed on the target
- The industry's best padlocking system
- The industry's most natural g-force movements
- The Ultimate Dynamic Campaign
- Authentic re-creation of the entire Battle of Britain campaign
- Experience epic battles with hundreds of aircraft in the air
- Thousands of aircraft are tracked and combat ready from their historical airfields. Knocking out enemy airfields hurts the enemy's ability to launch aircraft from those specific airfields.
- Authentic radar and spotting system
- British coastal radar network spots planes, reports data to central command, aircraft readiness is checked at nearby airfields and interceptors are appropriately vectored
- Damaged radar systems create "outages" or "holes" in the defensive screen
- Human spotters exist all over the British countryside, and their ability to spot is affected by weather conditions
- The entire war machine, down to just a single building is modeled
- Be the supreme commander or just be the pilot
- "RealWeather" Technology
- Both historical and dynamic weather conditions exist throughout the theater
- Building storm fronts with towering storm heads
- Real-time, in-flight weather changes
- Realistic weather forecasting
- Artificial Intelligence
- Computer piloted airplanes fly with the same performance and flight characteristics the player flies with, for a precise, historically accurate offline experience
- "RealPilot" Artificial Intelligence Technology means enemy aircraft have the same limitations the player has
- Both the player and the enemy can use the clouds for safety and cover
- Study and exploit the enemy's weaknesses with charts included in the printed pilot's manual
- Enemy aircraft have the same characteristics and performance as the player's aircraft, including actual joystick movements
- Realistic Sound
- Authentic engine sounds and behavior, inside and out
- Machineguns, explosions, hits, and flack fill the battlefield
- Negative g stalls, sputtering, engine overheating
- Open the canopy and hear the difference
- Complex engine management including prop-pitch, mixture, and engine temperature
- Unprecedented Visual Effects
- Accurately modeled visual effects create the ultimate battlefield experience
- Authentic bomb blasts in accordance to military test data, including realistic fireball size / duration, shockwaves, and dirt blasts
- Realistic gun-hits on aircraft, ground targets, land, and water
- Towering clouds of black smoke cover the battlefield for the entire flight
- Be a part of hundreds of bombers as countless bombs reign down on targets below
- Immersive, powerful, and historical command and control on the ground and in the air
- Command examples
- "Target bombers"
- "Vector me to nearest airfield"
- "Tower, what is the wind at altitude?"