Question for RadarMan

CtrlAltDlt Guest

hey RadarMan, do you know if there is any icing effect built into the default FS9? Also carbuerator icing? As well as pitot tube? The default aircraft come with carb and pitot tube heat controls, but I don't know if they're any use at all. Will the aircraft actually start losing lift if flying in icing? Oh, yeah, and will the engine detonate if you run it too lean resulting in high cylinder head temperatures?
I guess what I'm really asking is, Are their any failures built in to FS9 that do not involve arming the beloved failures option or overstressing the aircraft?
Thx

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'll leave that for someone else, I don't fly "big iron" just GA and vintage.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

CtrlAltDlt wrote:

hey RadarMan, do you know if there is any icing effect built into the default FS9? Also carbuerator icing? As well as pitot tube? The default aircraft come with carb and pitot tube heat controls, but I don't know if they're any use at all. Will the aircraft actually start losing lift if flying in icing? Oh, yeah, and will the engine detonate if you run it too lean resulting in high cylinder head temperatures?
I guess what I'm really asking is, Are their any failures built in to FS9 that do not involve arming the beloved failures option or overstressing the aircraft?
Thx

Pitot tube icing is built into FS9. Carburettor icing isn't I don't think.

You need to make sure you have the pitot switch turned on, otherwise your Speed Indicator will suddenly drop to zero as it simulates the pitot tube getting blocked.

Ice doesn't accumulate on the wings in FS9, the only thing they have simulated is the pitot tube heat as far as I know.

No, the engine won't detonate with improper mixture settings - FS9 isn't that advanced.

No, there aren't any failures in FS9 (by default) that don't require arming. But, you can arm the failure at the beginning of the flight for any period of time so it won't be as expected. You could try www.fspassengers.com (FsP) if you want sporadic failures.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I think that you can see ice on the leading edge of some aircraft from the external view, I've seen it on the Boeing 737-400. It however doesn't simulate any loss of lift or increase in drag or weight. 🙂

CtrlAltDlt Guest

Fascinating. Those are some things to put on my wishlist for FSX! Among many others. Have any of you guys done any of the lessons in FS9? I've finally finished the Commercial checkride. Had many problems with the Instrument checkride until I found out it wasn't me who was making the mistakes when setting up for holding. Now I'm gonna try the ATP. It supposedly has a special reward at the end for "completing this challengine event." I dont' know, but it's still wortha try. Gives some sense of accomplishment if not frustration at times.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

CtrlAltDlt wrote:

Fascinating. Those are some things to put on my wishlist for FSX! Among many others. Have any of you guys done any of the lessons in FS9? I've finally finished the Commercial checkride. Had many problems with the Instrument checkride until I found out it wasn't me who was making the mistakes when setting up for holding. Now I'm gonna try the ATP. It supposedly has a special reward at the end for "completing this challengine event." I dont' know, but it's still wortha try. Gives some sense of accomplishment if not frustration at times.

I've never bothered with the lessons - I didn't enjoy them when I first tried them.

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

Ino you can set up fauliers too also i think thr is a download idk where

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...