Now available from DSB Design for FS2004 and FS2002 is their version of the Northrop F-5 Freedom Fighter, a supersonic twin engine jet fighter that resembles the T-38 trainer. First flown in the late 1950's, over 2000 were produced. For full details on the flightsim model, click on Read More.
The F-5 is a supersonic fighter combining low cost, ease of maintenance, and great versatility. More than 2,000 F-5 aircraft have been procured by the USAF for use by allied nations. The F-5, which resembles the USAF Northrop T-38 trainer, is suitable for various types of ground-support and aerial intercept missions, including those which would have to be conducted from sod fields in combat areas.
The F-5 first flew on July 30, 1959 and deliveries to the Tactical Air Command for instructing foreign pilots began in April 1964. Pilots from Iran and South Korea were the first to be trained in the F-5, followed by pilots from Norway, Greece, Taiwan, Spain, and other Free World nations which have adopted the F-5. In 1966-67, a USAF squadron of F-5C's flew combat missions in Vietnam for operational evaluation purposes.
The Northrop F-5A Freedom Fighter features:
- 20 different visual models covering the F-5A and F-5C ensure accuracy over a variety of different liveries.
- Numerous fixed bombs and stores available on the airframes.
- Full 3D Dynamic Virtual Cockpit featuring animated control surfaces and custom gauges.
- Animated Canopy and Drogue Chute with added braking effects!
- Night Lighting including 'Slime-Lights'.
- High detail textures with realistic weathering effects and reflective areas.
- Rolling wheels and steerable nosegear.
- Detailed flight model based on available F-5A data.
- Custom automatic effects such as engine smoke, jet heat, afterburners and wingtip vorticies.
- A choice of 10 high quality texture sets covering the United States Air Force, Royal Norwegian Air Force, Royal Netherlands Air Force and the Canadian Air Force.
- Animated pilots who move the aircraft controls based on your inputs!
- Free access to model and texture updates