FSX F/A-18 Combat Version
- Complete with Base Model
- Download hits
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) including Steam Edition & Prepar3D (P3D)
- File size
- 15.82 MB
- Virus Scan
- Scanned 26 days ago (clean)
- Access to file
- Free (Freeware)
- Content Rating
F/A-18 Combat Version. This is the Acceleration F/A-18 Hornet equipped with 20mm M61 cannon and a fully functional air-to-air gun mode found in the real F/A-18. With the two radar modes, the two gun sights and the flying tracers, the virtual dogfight will be very similar to a real one. You will not be able to shoot down other aircraft, but you will receive an immediate indication on your HUD if a bullet hit the bandit. The flight model is unchanged from the Acceleration F/A-18 except for allowing manually controlled flaps and reducing the arresting wire tension for smoother carrier landings. The HUD is an upgrade of the Realistic F/A-18 HUD by Jivko Rusev and Scott Printz, which allows ILS and TACAN navigation for aircraft carriers. You will also get a couple of additional gauges - an In-Flight Refueling Gauge, PLAT Camera and a Carrier Landing Gauge. By Jivko Rusev.
You will find a detailed description of the A/A Gun mode in the Air-to-Air Guns Manual that comes with the package.
Description of the additional gauges can be found in the folder.
This package requires Flight Simulator X: Acceleration!
1. Copy the folder 'FA-18_Combat', contained in this package, to .
2. Copy the content of the 'Effects' folder, contained in this package, to .
3. Map the function 'Release Droppable Objects' to a button on your joystick and make sure the slider Repeat is all the way to the right (max).
You can choose the aircraft by selecting "Neutrino" in the Publisher drop-down menu.
1. Accurate F/A-18 HUD symbology
2. Transparent HUD glass
3. Blue/green color
4. Ground Proximity Warning System
5. Barometric/radar altitude
6. Caged mode
Carrier ILS/TCN Navigation
1. Default Acceleration carrier: 111.00 MHz or TACAN channel 47X
2. Javier's Nimitz carrier: 112.00 MHz or TACAN channel 57X
3. Clemenceau carrier: 113.00 MHz or TACAN channel 77X
HUD Radar modes
1. Radar Gun Acquisition (GACQ) sub-mode (20 degrees forward looking within 5 nm)
2. Radar Single Target Track (STT) sub-mode (TD Box, range and closure rate)
A/A Master Mode
1. Air-to-air guns mode enabled with two gunsights:
1.1 Funnel Mode
1.2 Gun Director Mode (Gun Reticule with "SHOOT" Cue)
2. Realistic Gun:
2.1 Precise ballistic trajectory of a 20mm PGU-28/B round fired by M61A1 Vulcan
2.2 HIGH/LOW rate of fire (6,000/4,000 rpm)
2.3 Feedback if target was hit
1. Carrier Landing Gauge (Shift+7)
2. PLAT camera crosshairs (Shift+8)
3. In-Flight Refueling Gauge (Shift+9)
The flight model is unchanged from the Acceleration Hornet except for manually controlled flaps for more realistic landing speeds and arrestor wire tension reduced for smoother landings.
What the Combat Hornet doesn't do?
You will not be able to shoot down people in mulitplayer or AI in free flight. Although this limitation can be overcome, I don't think it is necessary especially for gunnery practice. You will get immediate feedback on your HUD if you made a good shot.
Modifying for personal use
If you wish to modify the Combat Hornet for your own personal use, you are free to do that. You can add textures, gauges, effects, sounds or change the .air file. Do not replace the aircraft.cfg or panel.cfg, only edit them as necessary!
1. With TrackIR, if you shift your head (left/right, up/down), the target box will not be exactly on top of the bandit. This is because the HUD is not collimated. Without TrackIR you will not experience this problem; there may be slight misalignment as you accelerate or decelerate, but it will still cover the target. Unfortunately HUD collimation can be provided only by the model designer. Even with misalignment, the SHOOT cue will give a correct signal to open fire.
2. To minimize the loss of HUD conformality with TrackIR, you can reduce the y-axis sensitivity and increase the deadzone.
3. You will not be able to fire in 2D cockpit view or external view. The trigger is active only in the virtual cockpit.
4. For some reason sharing the cockpit with another player in MP fails.
SPECIAL THANKS to the beta testing team: Orion Lyau, Christian "Sludge" Snow, Benjamin "Afterburn" Rothstein, Razgriz, Sonofabeech, Capthaltli, Mickey_Techy, IRONDAN, Steven Frost, Peter797, Frankwi, Paul French, Randall Freeman, DButler.
Thanks to Orion Lyau for his help in editing the manual.
In-Flight Refueling Gauge by Andy Niko & Jivko Rusev
PLAT Camera crosshairs by Jivko Rusev
Carrier Landing Gauge by Jivko Rusev
Sound Gauge (dsd_xml_sound3) by Doug Dawson
Transparent HUD glass by Enrico B.
F/A-18 Combat Version in flight refueling.
The archive fsx_fa-18_combat.zip has 124 files and directories contained within it.
This list displays the first 500 files in the package. If the package has more, you will need to download it to view them.
|Filename/Directory||File Date||File Size|
|Carrier Landing Gauge||10.30.10||0 B|
|Carrier Landing Gauge.jpg||10.22.10||194.43 kB|
|In-Flight Refueling Gauge||10.30.10||0 B|
|In-Flight Refueling Gauge.jpg||04.18.10||201.18 kB|
|PLAT Camera Crosshairs||10.30.10||0 B|
|PLAT Camera Crosshairs.jpg||12.08.09||63.98 kB|
|Realistic Hornet HUD||10.30.10||0 B|
|Realistic Hornet HUD.jpg||11.18.09||35.56 kB|
|Go to Fly Away Simulation.url||01.22.16||52 B|
As a youth, I spent many hours playing the likes of F-16 on the SEGA Genesis and therefore I racked up plenty of hours as a virtual fighter pilot. One thing that has disappointed me growing up, though, has been the lack of quality sky-based shooters that exist. Outside of the flight simulation world that we all know so well, quality flight games with combat elements are short on the ground. My dream, then, was always to see true combat brought into flight simulation and make it far more engaging than it has been for me in recent years.
Well, this mod does just that by introducing the Combat Edition of the F/A-18 aircraft. This remake of the classic Hornet provides you with a cracking 20mm M61 cannon to fire off at your unfortunate foes. This provides you with solid air-to-air combat capabilities, allowing you to finally engage in dogfights in a flight simulator that’s made for true flight realism and not Hollywood movie scenes!
If you want to get the real challenge that comes with fighting in the skies, this is for you. You’ll have access to two radar modes – one that allows for tracers, and one that allows for gun sights – and you’ll be facing all of the different procedures a real pilot has to take on when engaged in a dogfight.
The model itself for the aircraft has been vastly altered, with manually controlled flaps and arrested wire tension included for smoother takeoff, flight and landings. If you are interested in seeing what the HUD would have been changed to, then you will be in for a treat! This gets a whole new makeover to give you access to what you need on the HUD to get your firepower just right.
At first, I will admit that I was a little thrown about the way that the aircraft was going to work. Thankfully, the massively detailed manual that comes with it made installation and then usage incredibly easy. I learned from the ease of using the HUD properly and understanding what it all stood for, as well as getting used to the proximity warning systems, and the altitude systems all being in such a rather unique place.
However, you also get to deal with various other aspects of flight that you may not have considered coming into play when you are busy trying to shoot people down. The way that firing works, too, has been made very realistic so this ensures that you won’t feel like you are some kind of Top Gun star in the making! It’s all very authentic and whilst missing constantly can be frustrating, it makes the shots you do land feel spectacular.
Although you can’t gun down other AI aircraft, or shoot down your friends in multiplayer, you can certainly hit them and gain conformation that the shot connected. Whilst other mods allow this, it won’t give you the same quality of realism and response as this mod is capable of.
Installation of Add-on Aircraft/Scenery
Most of the freeware add-on aircraft and scenery packages in our file library come with easy installation instructions which you can read above in the file description. For further installation help, please see our Knowledge Center for our full range of tutorials or view the README file contained within the download.