The Virtual Type Rating has been designed by current airline pilots especially for aviation enthusiasts and PC flight simmers - and will take you into the realms of what it would be like to train as a heavy jet pilot on some of the most modern airliners flying today.
As this is unique to Virtual Aviation, the full syllabus is a closely-guarded secret - but here's a brief outline of what you will cover during the five two-hour modules:
- Flight planning including fuel planning, navigation and weather.
- Flightdeck set-up from cold and dark.
- Pushback, engine start and taxiing.
- Hand-flying technique for take-off and climb.
- Hand-flying technique for descent and landing.
- Autopilot flying, and the autopilot modes.
- Use of the Boeing FMC or Airbus FMGS flight managment system.
- Communication with Air Traffic Control.
- Dealing with failures and emergency scenarios.
The fifth and final module will be your 'check flight' prior to gaining your virtual wings. It will be a real-time flight, flown using real-world routes and procedures, from gate departure to gate arrival at the destination airport.