FSX Lord Howe Island Scenery
- Download hits
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) including Steam Edition & Prepar3D (P3D)
- File size
- 604.70 kB
- Virus Scan
- Scanned 21 days ago (clean)
- Access to file
- Free (Freeware)
- Content Rating
Lord Howe Island v1.00. Features accurate coastlines, accurate placement of settlements, new terrain mesh, updated airport (YLHI), Gmax version of Balls Pyramid, boat traffic. By Don Bush.
This is a complete replacement for the default Lord Howe Island in Flight Simulator X. This file provides the following:
* Accurate coastlines, beaches, roads etc.
* Accurate placement of settlements, golf course, etc.
* Terrain mesh based on SRTM 90m data
* Updated Lord Howe Island airport (YLHI)
* GMax model of the Balls Pyramid rock outcrop
* Updated landclass and waterclass
* Boat traffic in the waters around the island
Note that I could not find detailed photos of the airport buildings so I used default FSX objects to represent these buildings. If I can find (or if someone can provide) detailed photos of these buildings I would consider modeling them in GMax for a future release.
1. Unzip LHI1.zip to a temporary location making sure to retain the folder structure. You should end up with a folder called "Lord Howe Island" which contains subfolders called "Scenery" and "Texture".
2. Move the "Lord Howe Island" folder into your Flight Simulator X "Addon Scenery" folder. The "Lord Howe Island" folder should end up as a subfolder under the "Addon Scenery" folder.
3. Launch Flight Simulator X
4. On the startup screen click "Settings"
5. Click the "Scenery Library..." button
6. Click the "Add Area..." button
7. Browse to the "Lord Howe Island" folder.
8. Click the "OK" button on the "Select Scenery Directory" dialog
9. Click the "OK" button on the Scenery Library dialog
10. Start flying and enjoy the scenery
Note for experts: The above instructons say to put the "Lord Howe Island" folder under the "Addon Scenery" folder but obviously you can put the "Lord Howe Island" folder anywhere you want as long as you can find it and add it to the FSX scenery library.
Locating the scenery in Flight Simulator
The easiest way to locate the scenery is to move your airplane to the Lord Howe Island airport (YLHI). YLHI is located in the center of the island. To find Balls Pyramid, just take off from runway 10 and head southeast. You will see Balls Pyramid on the horizon about 15nm south of Lord Howe Island.
It is also fun to fly to the island from Sydney or Brisbane.
The only navaids on the island are a DME station and an NDB:
NDB - LORD HOWE (LHI) - 272.00 kHz
DME - LORD HOWE (LHI) - 114.30 MHz
Files included in this package
Lord Howe Island - Main Folder
Scenery - Scenery Folder
LHI_Boats.bgl - Boat traffic
LHI_CVX.bgl - Main scenery file (Islands, shorelines, beaches, roads, etc.)
LHI_DEM.bgl - Digital Elevation Mesh (Based on SRTM 90m data)
LHI_Landclass.bgl - Landclass
LHI_Objects.bgl - Objects (Airport buildings, Jetty, etc.)
LHI_Waterclass.bgl - Waterclass
YLHI_afx_djb.bgl - Lord Howe Island Airport (YLHI)
Balls_Pyramid.bgl - Gmax model of Balls Pyramid
Texture - Texture Folder
Balls_Pyramid.dds - Texture for the Balls Pyramid Model
Readme.txt - This readme file.
I would like to give credit to the authors of the following tools which were used in the development of this scenery package.
KML - Innova Software
EZ-Landclass - Russel Dirks
TCalcX - Dick Ludowise
BglAnalyzeX - Winfried Orthmann
SDE (Scenery Design Engine) - Jon Masterson
AFCAD - Lee Swordy
Flight Simulator X SDK - Microsoft
This package contains terrain mesh which was developed using data from the following source:
Jarvis A., H.I. Reuter, A. Nelson, E. Guevara, 2006, Hole-filled seamless SRTM data V3, International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT).
I would also like to give thanks to the folks at fsdeveloper, an invaluable resource of information and tools related to add-on development for Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Ownership of this software resides with Don Bush. You are granted a nonexclusive license for use of this software on your system or systems.
This software is provided as-is. The author does not accept any responsibility for any possible bugs in this product. It's use is completely at your own risk.
The archive lhi1.zip has 16 files and directories contained within it.
This list displays the first 500 files in the package. If the package has more, you will need to download it to view them.
|Filename/Directory||File Date||File Size|
|Lord Howe Island||05.20.07||0 B|
|Go to Fly Away Simulation.url||01.22.16||52 B|
Installation of Add-on Aircraft/Scenery
Most of the freeware add-on aircraft and scenery packages in our file library come with easy installation instructions which you can read above in the file description. For further installation help, please see our Knowledge Center for our full range of tutorials or view the README file contained within the download.